Our Tea of the Week this week is Mint Chamomile. From Monday, March 9th, to Sunday, March 15th, 2015 you can enjoy this drink for just $3 with tax included*.
Mint Chamomile is an herbal tea and many studies have been done into the possible benefits of both mint and chamomile when consumed in reasonable amounts. Here are a few:
- Allergies: Rosmarinic acid, an antioxidant found in mint, has been known to have anti-inflammatory properties and may help treatment of allergies.
- Antioxidants: Chamomile is rich in antioxidants and can help fight inflammation and chronic diseases in addition to slowing the effects of aging such as wrinkles and loss of skin elasticity.
- Fighting the common cold/menstrual cramps: Mint contains menthol which is a natural decongestant that helps break up mucus and phlegm. A study published in the Jan. 26 issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry has also found that chamomile tea contains compounds that may help fight infections due to colds and relieve menstrual cramps.
- Indigestion: Mint has been used for thousands of years to help aid upset stomach and indigestion. Germany’s Commission E researches consider chamomile to also be helpful in treating gastrointestinal complaints such as indigestion.
- Stress/Anxiety/Depression: Chamomile has been shown to have calming properties that can help relax upon consumption.
- Sleep Aid: Due to the calming properties of chamomile, studies indicate that chamomile tea may help relax the body and help you sleep if you’re having trouble getting to bed and has been used since ancient times to help treat insomnia.
*Does not include toppings